Monday, December 10, 2007

Stuff I Love: Aden & Anais Swaddling Blankets

My little girl has allergies, so even though most parents stop swaddling their babies around three months, I still wrap my baby up like a burrito every night so that she won't scratch her face.

What I Love: Aden & Anais Muslin Blankets. They are super big and soft swaddling blankets (44" x 44") that can be used for a variety of other purposes besides swaddling.

Why I Love It: First of all, most baby blankets are 30" x 30". My 7-month-0ld is over 25" long, there is no way a normal receiving blanket is going to hold her. So these blankets get a thumbs-up just for being big enough to wrap my girl up.

But they also come in really cute patterns. I have the "girlie" collection, which features dots, stripes, and stars in pink and brown. And the fact that they are cotton muslin makes them soft, softer with each washing in fact.

And you can use them for more than just swaddling. They make a fine burp cloth or play mat. They are fabulous to drape over your stroller to keep the sun out of your little one's eyes. They are big enough to roll up to use as a bolster. I have even made one into a makeshift sling in a pinch.

You can purchase them at: http://www.adenandanais.com/. At $44 for 4 blankets, they are very reasonably priced for all the use you will get out of them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. I just read your mention of the aden and anais swaddling blankets and I thank you for the tip. I was wondering about your comment that your child has allergies and scratches her face. Both of my kids have dairy allergies which has affected them through my breast milk and I swaddled my oldest until she was quite beyond swaddling age. Now, it seems that I may be doing this with my 4 month old as well. But, I never attributed it to them having allergies. What are you children allergic to? How did you discover this? Is there anything else I can do to ensure that my child will be sleeping better by being itch-free?

Hula Bunny said...

Hi Chelsea,

As it turns out, my second one, whom I thought had allergies that caused her scratching, just had severely dry skin. But my older one does have numerous allergies: eggs, dairy, wheat, and nuts. We discovered this when I gave him a bite of my bagel (he was one at the time), and his face puffed up. Immediately after the incident, we took him to an allergist for testing and the results revealed his other allergies.

When the second one started scratching, we just assumed worst case scenario that she would be allergic to the same things, so I eliminated all those foods from my diet while she was on breastmilk.

I recommend you keep your babies well-moisturized, as my doctor has told me that dryness can exascerbate eczema. I like using a cream called CeraVe. I have another friend who swears by calendula cream. If you suspect allergies, of course, you'll need to pull all the possible foods out of your diet for about 2 weeks and see if it makes a difference.

Good luck, I hope you can find the path to itch-free sleep for your little one.