Tuesday, February 19, 2008

When Did I Become Boring?

A few friends from high school had our monthly moms' night out recently. This time, we decided to invite one of our friends who is still single, so we tried our best not to talk mommy talk. After all, this was our chance to get out of the mommy role and be interesting, vibrant, intelligent, modern women. But it ended up being the most difficult exercise to talk about something besides poopy diapers, when Disney on Ice is coming to town, and how to get one's toddler to have a decent nap.

I drove home in an abject state of disbelief and horror; I have become one of those people, talking ad nauseum about their kids. When did this happen? I went to a good college. I hold down a challenging job at an industry-leading Fortune 500 company. I have interesting opinions on the world around me. At least, I used to.

Aren't we having an election this year? The war is still going on in Iraq. China is doing all sorts of weird things as it frantically prepares to host the Olympics. The Giants staged a major upset over the Patriots in the Super Bowl. And Britney Spears has gone nine kinds of crazy since shaving her head. So why can't I have a conversation about anything more interesting than the Little Gym class into which I just enrolled E?

We ended the evening by inviting our single friend to keep joining us, because we really miss seeing her and because her presence helps steer the conversation to non-mommy topics. But just to encourage her to come again, we promised next month we would see a movie instead (hopefully one that is rated R), so that there would be a much smaller chance of slipping into mommy talk.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So true, so true.... I thought I was a pretty good conversationalist until now. It seems that I have to strain my brain to come up with non-children topics nowadays.