Saturday, January 19, 2008

Stuff I Love: Simple Treats Cookbook by Ellen Abraham

I have said before that I always imagined baking cookies with my kids as one of those lazy Saturday activities that would become a cherished tradition in our family, and how disappointed I was to find out that both my kids are allergic to eggs and dairy (my son allergic to wheat as well). Well, I need not give up the dream anymore because I found a great cookbook that lets us bake our cake and eat it, too!

What I Love: Simple Treats: A Wheat-free, Dairy-free Guide to Scrumptious Baked Goods by Ellen Abraham. That title says it all, don't you think?

Why I Love It: The recipes are really good and easy to follow. OK, you will never mistake the cookies that come out of this cookbook for a Specialty's cookie, but they are pretty tasty nonetheless. They are at least good enough to fool you into thinking that they are a regular home-baked goodie.

My son's favorite recipe is the oatmeal-raisin cookie. He loves that he gets to pour the raisins into the batter, and he likes to watch them puff up as they bake. Last night, we made the vanilla cupcakes together, and he told me that he wanted to make more to share with his friends at school. The brownie recipe is awesome as well, rich, gooey, and chewy.

In addition to the great recipes, I love that the recipes make nice, small batches (each batch makes about 15 1-ounce cookies), that all the recipes use no refined sugar or saturated fats, and that the nutritional information is included at the bottom of each recipe.

I bought my copy at Amazon.com, and it was $10 well spent.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wohoo! Happy baking!!